Study Abroad for JCU Students

Independent Study Abroad for JCU Degree Students

It is possible for JCU students to apply directly to study abroad at any regionally accredited American university or any national university that is recognized by a country’s higher education authority.

Among the options for independent study abroad are all members of the Association of American International Colleges and Universities (AAICU), which have deep roots in their host countries and are therefore capable of bridging cultures and fostering dialogue among nations within the framework of the American liberal arts tradition.

N.B. JCU also has Direct Exchange agreements with some of these universities, but if you are not accepted in the Direct Exchange program, you may always apply directly to these universities as an independent study abroad student.

JCU students who are accepted to study abroad independently pay tuition and fees directly to the host university, according to the host university’s prices and policies. Students who need financial aid will have to apply for it directly with the host university, if available.

Members of AAICU besides John Cabot University 

American College of Thessaloniki
American University of Bulgaria
American University of Armenia
American University of Central Asia
American University of Nigeria
American University of Sharjah
Al Akhawayn University, Ifrane, Morocco
Central European University
Franklin Univeristy, Switzerland
Forman Christian College University, Lahore
Haigazian University, Lebanon
Irish American University
Lebanese American University
Richmond, The American International University in London
Saint Louis University, Madrid
The American College of Greece
The American University in Cairo
The American University of Beirut
The American University in Kosovo
The American University of Paris

How to apply for independent study abroad                             

Step 1: Have a talk with your advisor to see how studying abroad would further your academic goals, and to get approval to move forward with the application process.

Step 2: Apply to study abroad directly with the university of your choice, following their application instructions.

Step 3: Once you have been accepted into a university or program abroad, you will need to fill out a Course Away Form, which may be obtained at the Registrar’s Office.

Step 4: Students who go abroad but are not part of the Direct Exchange Program need to stop by the Dean’s Office to request a Leave of Absence. A Leave of Absence form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Please note: If you will be going abroad during the first semester of your Senior Year at John Cabot University, you will have to submit a Petition for Exemption from Academic Policy to waive the “last 30-credit” residency requirement.
US Federal aid recipients are strongly encouraged to choose a program outside of the US that is authorized to administer Title IV funds to avoid becoming ineligible for aid on return to JCU. Please contact [email protected] for more information.