Study Abroad for JCU Students

Direct Exchange Programs for JCU Degree-Seeking Students


JCU has direct exchange agreements with several universities in the US and worldwide. Degree-seeking students who meet eligibility criteria may study abroad for a semester at any of these institutions, and pay JCU tuition inclusive of any financial aid awards. Students are responsible for the cost of housing, transportation, and living expenses while abroad. Students who reside on campus pay the cost of housing directly to the host university.

US Federal aid recipients who are interested in participating in the Direct Exchange Program are strongly encouraged to choose a program outside of the US that is authorized to administer Title IV funds to avoid becoming ineligible for aid upon return to JCU. Please contact [email protected] for more information.

N.B: in compliance with California State Law, US citizens and US permanent residents residing abroad, including dual citizens, cannot study on exchange at any of the California State University campuses.


North America
Adelphi University, Long Island, NY 
Ball State University, Muncie, IND
Brooklyn College - CUNY, Brooklyn, NY * 
California State University, Long Beach, CA *
California State University San Marcos, CA * 
Inter American University, Puerto Rico
Kean University, Union, NJ
Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ
San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 
Southern Utah University, Cedar City, UT
Texas Tech University, TX 
The New School - Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, New York, NY 
University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX 
University of Massachusetts, Boston, MA 
University of Miami, Miami, FL
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
University of San Diego, San Diego, CA 
Virginia Wesleyan College, Norfolk, VA
Willamette University, Salem, OR

American College of Greece, Athens, Greece
American College of Thessaloniki, Greece
American University of Armenia, Armenia
American University of Paris, France 
Anadolu University, Turkey
Richmond – The American International University in London, United Kingdom
Volda University College, Norway

Kean University, Wenzhou, China
Rikkyo University, Tokyo, Japan
Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul, South Korea 

Africa and the Middle East
American University in Cairo, Egypt 
American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates 
American University of Nigeria, Yola, Nigeria
American University of Beirut, Lebanon (currently not available)

* US and dual US citizens are not eligible to attend Brooklyn College or California State University on exchange.

Eligibility guidelines

In order to apply, students must meet the eligibility guidelines outlined below; students who do not meet the eligibility criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis:

  • Completion of English Composition III (EN110) with a grade of B or higher by the time you apply.
  • Completion of 30 undergraduate credits or more by the time you participate in the program.
  • Completion of 15 or more credits at JCU.
  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
  • If you will be going abroad during the first semester of your senior year at John Cabot University, please make an appointment with your advisor to fill out the Petition for Exemption from Academic Policy to waive the last 30-credit residency requirement.

How to apply

Participation in the Direct Exchange Program involves two application phases: students who meet the requirements outlined above must first submit an internal application to be approved to participate in the program. Once approved, students will be nominated to apply to one of the universities of their choice, and will need to apply for admission there according to the instructions provided.

US Federal Aid recipients are strongly encouraged to choose a program outside of the US that is authorized to administer Title IV funds to avoid becoming ineligible for aid on return to JCU. Please contact [email protected] for more information.

Please note that acceptance into some of the universities is competitive, so consider alternatives in your planning.

Step 1: Have a talk with your academic advisor to see how studying abroad will help you further your academic goals and to get approval to move forward with the application process.

Step 2: Complete and submit the Direct Exchange application form along with all required documents by the deadlines indicated below. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be considered.

Step 3: The JCU Admissions Office will be in touch with you regarding a nomination decision. If you have been approved to move forward, you will need to apply directly with the university you have been nominated for according to the instructions provided by the Direct Exchange office.

Step 4: Once you have been accepted into a university abroad, you will need to fill out a Course Away Form. Follow the instructions on the Registrar’s webpage to download and submit the form.

NB: Students participating in the Direct Exchange program will need to register for JCU courses as normal for the semester they plan to study abroad as a precaution in case they are unable to go abroad due to an unforeseen event. Students will be asked to drop the classes prior to the start of the semester.


For additional information, or to schedule an appointment, please contact
[email protected]