Foreign Language Resource Center
Welcome! The Center is still active and working remotely. Please make an appointment with Prof. Siddu Pilia by pressing the "schedule an appointment" button. She will contact you to determine how the session will be delivered according to your needs.
Our mission is to provide academic support in Italian, French, and Spanish to all students enrolled in JCU Foreign Language courses at any level. Our goal is to create an open atmosphere of learning for students who would like to improve their language skills - speaking, writing, reading, and listening comprehension.
The FLRC is located at the Tiber Campus on the first floor.
Plan Your Visit
You can schedule your appointment 24 hours in advance through our online booking system. Each tutoring session lasts for 1 hour. If you need to schedule more than one appointment, please exit and then re-enter the booking system.
In case of an emergency, please remember to cancel your appointment following the directions you have on your appointment confirmation email, and be mindful that another student might need the spot you reserved.
Please read the Guidelines for Students below before going to your appointment.
Tutors can help you with:
- Gaining a better understanding of the grammatical structure of the language you are learning in class.
- Improving your ability to speak and read in the language you are learning.
- Refining your knowledge from week to week. This will help you keep up with the material more consistently rather than trying to cram at the last minute.
- Recognizing a pattern of mistakes in your assignments, tests, and exams. You may need to work on that particular grammar item. A tutor can review that concept with you in-depth.
- Reviewing for tests and exams.
- Preparing for oral presentations and correcting your pronunciation.
Tutors cannot help you with:
- Tutoring is not teaching. Teaching provides students with new information; tutoring helps students master that information by providing alternative explanations, examples, and exercises. Tutors cannot substitute for attending class.
- Editing your compositions/papers.
- Correcting your mistakes in compositions/papers or any other assignments.
- Providing direct help for assignments.
The goal of tutoring is to provide individualized assistance that enables students to develop academic mastery and independence. To make your tutoring sessions as productive as possible please:
- Come prepared. Bring your textbook, notes, review sheets with you. Read your assignments and do your best to work through your homework problems before tutoring sessions.
- Attend classes regularly. Tutoring is designed to supplement class instruction, not to replace it.
- Use tutoring services efficiently. You will benefit more from tutoring if you come when you first begin having problems. If you wait until the last minute, you may not be able to master the material in time to succeed on tests and exams.
We also offer Language Conversation Tables to enable students to practice and improve their oral proficiency. Please email the FLRC Coordinator Prof. Gina Siddu Pilia to get the schedule for the current semester: [email protected].
Foreign Language Placement Tests
Students can find the Foreign Language placement tests on JCU Moodle and self-enroll by clicking 'Enroll me.' Please send an email upon completion to Prof. Siddu Pilia at [email protected] to receive your results.
Please make sure that you have received your JCU Net ID to access JCU Moodle. If not, please contact [email protected]. Should you experience any technical problems with Moodle, please contact [email protected].