English Language for University Studies (ENLUS) in Italy
Intensive English language courses
Fall 2018: August 28th till December 15th
Spring 2019: January 15th till May 11th
Summer 2019: May 22nd till July 22nd
What is ENLUS?
For those students whose level of English does not yet qualify them for entry to the University (see English Proficiency Requirements for Admissions to JCU), John Cabot University's English Language for University Studies (ENLUS) Program offers intensive classes in academic English. The program has three goals:
- to raise students’ English proficiency to university level;
- to prepare students for the intellectual demands of university study by using academically-challenging materials;
- to provide a complete English language learning experience, both in and out of class.
ENLUS courses do not carry academic credit towards graduation from the University.
How is ENLUS different from other language programs?
The two most distinctive features of ENLUS are its level of intensity (over 200 hours in 15 weeks) and its association with an accredited American university.
- Small daytime classes; four hours a day, four days a week (Monday-Thursday)
- Each level is taught by two different highly-qualified professors
- Academic and American cultural focus
- Student access to all JCU facilities, including the library and computer labs
- Student integration in the cultural and social life of JCU’s English-speaking student body
- Successful completion normally leads to direct entrance into JCU’s degree program
The 15-week course, which begins on the same day of the term as JCU for-credit courses, follows JCU’s academic calendar and is divided into two proficiency levels:
ENLUS II (B2) meets 4 ½ hours daily, Monday through Thursday, for a total of 252 hours.
Students who are enrolled in ENLUS II and not yet admitted to the University as degree-seeking students are eligible to also enroll in one academic (for credit) course in the areas of mathematics, computer science, fine arts, and Italian if they satisfy the University’s minimum admission requirements. These minimum requirements may vary depending upon the student’s secondary educational background. Students in Enlus II interested in enrolling in a University course should contact the Admissions Office [email protected] to determine if they are eligible. Please note that taking ENLUS II with an additional course will cost € 4,400.
ENLUS I (B1) meets 4 hours daily, Monday through Thursday, for a total of 208 hours. Small class size ensures that each student receives individual attention and has the opportunity to participate actively in class. Attention is also given to introducing foreign students to American culture and university life.
PRE-ENLUS (A2): meets 4 hours daily, Monday through Thursday, for a total of 208 hours.
Small class size ensures that each student receives individual attention and has the opportunity to participate actively in class. Attention is also given to introducing foreign students to American culture and university life.
In order to pass ENLUS 2, students have to have a final score of 60% or above. Students with exceptionally high final scores will be given the chance to take the English Composition Placement Examination and perhaps place into EN105. Students with final scores near the passing grade will be given the chance to take the English Composition Placement Examination to determine if they can be admitted into JCU. The results of these borderline cases will be communicated to the students by the Chair of the Department of English Language and Literature or the Dean.
Any student with a low score the mid-term exam or with excessive absences will receive a mid-term warning.
Intensive Grammar Review
Principles of Sentence Construction
Individual Error Analysis
Listening and Speaking Skills
Oral Presentation Skills
Basic Language Functions
Listening Strategies and Note-taking Skills
Extracting Main Ideas
Improving Reading Comprehension
Tuition, Fees, and Scholarships
We are dedicated to making ENLUS as affordable as possible. Learn more about our tuition, fees, housing, and scholarships.
Who should apply?
- Only applicants with a lower intermediate (A2) knowledge of English
- High school graduates aspiring to enter JCU or another English-speaking university
- Anyone 18 or older wishing to achieve a high level of English proficiency for business or personal reasons
Applicants must take the University’s English Language Placement Test: the test includes a written essay followed by an oral interview. There is a €25,00 application/testing fee.
Tel (+39) 06.6819.121
email: [email protected]