John Cabot University: the Academic Experience

For-Credit Research Assistantship

Student information

Students undertaking a for-credit research assistantship have an opportunity to deepen their research skills, while sustaining a more advanced research project in a specific disciplinary area. Research assistants may earn one unit of academic credit (on a P/NP basis) for the completion of at least 45 hours of work.

They must complete at least 90% of their work before the end of the semester in which they are registered in order to receive a passing grade.

Students interested in for-credit research position should review the calls for research assistance, posted outside the Dean's Office.

To apply for a specific position, send a CV and a 1-page statement of interest to the sponsoring professor. If selected by the professor, register for the academic credit by submitting this form to the Dean's Office by the end of the drop/add period. STUDENTS WHO REGISTER FOR A SUMMER SESSION SHOULD REFER TO JCU TUITION AND FEES FOR A ONE-CREDIT CLASS.

These courses cannot be used to fulfill general distribution requirements, or as Major Electives, or towards the fulfillment of Minor requirements; they can only be taken as general electives. Students can take a maximum of three for-credit assistantships within the 120 credit graduation requirement.

Faculty information

To place a call for research assistance during a particular semester, faculty members submit this application to the Dean's Office by a week before the first day of classes.