Financial Aid and Scholarships for John Cabot University in Rome

Student-Consumer U.S. Financial Aid Information

For information about all need-based and merit-based awards for both degree seeking and visiting students, please see our Financial Aid and Scholarships webpage.

For the following information about US federal student loans, please see our US Federal Aid and Loans webpage:

  • Terms and conditions of the Title IV HEA loans;
  • Criteria for selecting recipients and determining the award amount;
  • Eligibility requirements and procedures for applying for aid;
  • Methods and frequency of disbursements of aid;
  • Rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV HEA student financial aid, including the criteria for continued student eligibility and standards for satisfactory academic progress;
  • Terms of loans received as part of the financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule and the necessity for repaying loans;
  • Procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance;
  • A statement that enrolment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home school may be considered enrolment in the home school for the purposes of applying for federal student financial aid;
  • The Exit Counseling information the University collects and provides to servicers.

Refund policy, requirements for withdrawal and return of Title IV financial aid

Student loan information published by the US Department of Education

The University will provide information published by the US Department of Education to students at any time that information regarding loan availability is requested, including the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV, HEA loan programs.

National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS)

If you take out a federal loan at John Cabot, we will submit the details to NSLDS (including via the National

Student Clearinghouse) and this data will be accessible to guarantee agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.

Entrance counseling for student loan borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, first-time borrowers (other than for Parent Plus loans) will be provided with comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and of the borrower’s responsibilities through Entrance Counseling. At John Cabot, all first time borrowers are notified about the entrance counseling requirement in their Financial Aid Package.

Exit counseling for student loan borrowers

The University will provide exit counseling to borrowers of loans (other than for Parent Plus loans) shortly before the student borrower ceases at least half-time study at the school, which should be completed via the Student Aid website. Any student who fails to complete exit counseling via NSLDS will be emailed a copy of the Exit Counseling Guide, published by the US Department of Education.

Private education loan disclosures

Private educational loans are available to students who are US citizens and eligible noncitizens. A student may borrow up to the balance of the cost of attendance, minus any JCU institutional aid and Federal Student Loans.

Code of conduct for education loans

The University’s code of conduct for US education loans is as follows:

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from the following:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender;
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender;
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders or refusing or delaying loan certifications;
  • Offers of funds for private loans;
  • Call center or financial aid office staffing assistance;
  • Advisory board compensation.

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

Drug and Alcohol Abuse

Information on the penalties associated with drug-related offences under the US Higher Education Act can be found here. Should you lose eligibility for your US student loan as a result of these penalties, we will provide you with a written notice which notifies you of your loss of eligibility and advises you of the ways in which to regain eligibility.

Last Updated: June 2022
Source: FSA Handbook, U.S. Department of Education