Requirements for the B.A. in Italian Studies
Requirements for the Degree
A. The Proficiency and General Distribution Requirements of the University.
- IT 301 Advanced Italian I
- IT 302 Advanced Italian II
- IT 308 Introduction to Professional Translation or
IT 309 Italian Language Through Literature
- IT 310 Elements of Italian Literature
- IT 317 Roots of Italian Identities
- HS 365 Italy from the Risorgimento to the First World War (1815 - 1915) or
HS 366 Italy from Mussolini to the Crisis of the First Republic (1918 to present) or
other courses in Modern Italian History approved by the advisor
- ITS/SOSC 250 Contemporary Italian Society or
PL 215 Italian Politics and Society
- BUS/ITS 260 Made in Italy: The Italian Business Environment
- ITS/CMS 332 Italian Media and Popular Culture
- IT 401 Advanced Workshop in Italian Writing
- PL 460 Social Science Research Methods or
IT/SOSC 380 Researching Rome: Fieldwork in the Eternal City or
HUM 460 Research and Writing in the Humanities
- IT 480 Senior Thesis
The University requires an overall minimum grade point average of 2.00 in all courses taken at the University, with no more than two grades lower than C- in core courses.
B. Major Electives
Five electives, to be chosen with the advisor from the following:
- Any core courses not taken in fulfillment of the core requirements
- Any IT 300 level classes not required for the core
- Any ITS courses
- Any approved major electives from outside the Department - the list of approved major electives is available here.
C. General Electives sufficient to give a total of 120 credits.