Requirements for the B.A. in Political Science (pre-Fall 2022)
Requirements for the Degree
A. The Proficiency and General Distribution Requirements of the University (the Social Sciences and Humanities requirements will be satisfied by completing the core curriculum courses below).
B. Core Curriculum
- PL 101 Introduction to Political Science
- PL 201 American Government
- PL 209 World Politics
- PL 210 Introduction to Political Theory
- PL 223 Comparative Politics
- PL 250 Western European Politics
- HS 210 Nineteenth-Century Europe and the World
- HS 211 Twentieth-Century Europe and the World
- PL 340 Politics of Developing Countries
- PL 460 Social Science Research Methods
- PL 480 Senior Thesis
C. Major Electives Six major electives are required for the major, to be chosen from the PL, LAW, SOSC, and HS listings not included in the core curriculum. Of these courses, no more than two HS courses and one SOSC may be taken as major electives. In addition, credit earned from an internship can be applied towards the Major Electives. All courses must be at the 200 level or above, and at least four courses must be at the 300 level or above.
The University requires an overall minimum grade point average of 2.00 in all courses taken at the University, with no more than two grades lower than C- in core courses.
D. General Electives sufficient to give a total of 120 credits.