Student Health, Wellbeing, and Conduct

Health Insurance

Italian law requires that all non-Italian students living in Italy have medical insurance, whether they need a Permit to Stay or not. John Cabot University works with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to assist you in obtaining a high quality health insurance that will fulfill your immigration requirements.

Under Italian law, emergency medical treatment is provided to Italian nationals and foreign nationals alike, regardless of insurance coverage. That said, any treatment received in Italian Emergency Rooms may be subject to a small fee. If follow-up care is required, the hospital will ask for proof of insurance. Policies on public hospital charges vary from region to region.

Students are required to have a health insurance plan valid in Italy throughout their course of study at John Cabot University as follows:  

European students
National health insurance cards from European countries (EHIC) are theoretically accepted in Italy. However, private health insurance is highly recommended for the following reasons: 

  • Confirmation required from issuing country for specific treatment in Italy 
  • Excessive waiting periods; limited opening hours 
  • Language barrier of medical staff 
  • Even for emergency and critical care, treatments received are partially paid for by the patient 
  • Reimbursement is not guaranteed in Italy – ask the competent authority in the issuing country 
  • Private practitioners do not have to accept EHIC 

To make an appointment once in Italy, students with the EHIC card should visit their local health office (ASL) to consult the list of available practitioners. They can then select a doctor from the directory to contact to set up the medical visit.  

JCU highly recommends purchasing the CISI plan, designed specifically for community members, offering tried and tested coverage for a range of medical needs, including mental health.  
Should you decide to arrive in Italy with your EHIC card, a copy must be uploaded to the Student Portal prior to your arrival. Learn more about the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Incoming DS Non-European Students (enrolled after and including Fall ’24) 
All incoming non-European DS students must enroll in the JCU-specific CISI policy. This high-quality coverage also fulfills student immigration requirements.  
Returning DS Non-European students (enrolled before Fall ’24) and Visiting Students
Private non-Italian medical insurances are accepted only if the insurance company issues a letter summarizing the conditions of the policy, stating that it is valid in Italy, and clarifying that there are no restrictions on the validity of the policy. It is important to note that depending on your country of origin, the policy you arrive with may not provide adequate coverage here in Italy. Because of this, we strongly recommend purchasing the CISI health insurance plan in order to obtain a high-quality health insurance that will fulfill your immigration requirements. 

CISI offers an insurance plan that covers you wherever you are when outside the U.S. With 24/7 emergency on call operators standing by, you can consult with CISI on their coverage of pre-existing conditions, emergency repatriation, specialist's visits, prescriptions, physical therapy, and everything in between. CISI covers mental health concerns and Trip Delay benefits. CISI will even cover the cost to fly a parent or guardian to your current location during an emergency health crisis. All JCU students (Italian and non-Italian) are eligible to apply for the JCU CISI policy. Payments are made online with a credit card at the CISI website. See details about policy coverage and costs. You can also write to [email protected] or [email protected] for more information.