Certificate in Social Innovation
The concept of social innovation is gaining momentum among academics and practitioners, becoming the new frontier of social and community development. This movement entails building and strengthening ecosystem interactions and relationships, moving towards an integrated approach to the economic, technological, social and environmental aspects of development. Ultimately, it aims to create sustainability and deliver a sense of equal prosperity. This mindset contributes to the university’s service spirit, promotes an understanding of how everyone can contribute towards a better society, and prepares students for a life of civic engagement.
In light of JCU’s mission to encourage responsible leadership and positive contributions to the world, the JCU Institute for Entrepreneurship, the Center for Professional Education and the JCU Community Service Program have partnered to offer students the possibility of observing social change through a holistic and academically transversal approach, while acquiring an entrepreneurial mindset and applying entrepreneurial skills.
The Certificate is open to all students, from any major, whether they already have a business/entrepreneurial/political science background or not. The Certificate is also open to students from the MA in Art History program and from the Continuing Education programs.
To earn the Certificate students will have to satisfactorily complete the following:
One 3-credit course to be chosen from:
- BUS 398 For-credit internship in a social innovation setting
- MGT 345 Social Entrepreneurship
- MKT 355 Social Marketing and Fundraising
- CE-MGT 521 Innovation Management
SOCIAL INNOVATION ECOSYSTEM
Engage in any of the following:
- 3 Speakers or events relating to social change and social innovation, organized or supported by IFE, the Center for Continuing Education and selected Clubs with the official Certificate in Social Innovation Badge
- Participation in the Alamgir Non-Profit Marketing Case Award*
- Participation in the Alamgir Award for Research in Developmental Economics**
* The Alamgir Non-Profit Marketing Case Award
A prize to be awarded not more than annually, rewarding outstanding work in engaging the concepts of sustainable non-profit or social marketing in a compelling and skillfully case study written in English.
The University shall grant an award of €500 not more than annually to a current student who has written the best original case study in any area of sustainable non-profit or social marketing.
** The Alamgir Award for Research in Developmental Economics
Applicants must be rising seniors and they must submit a narrative proposal outlining the scope of their senior thesis on any topic within the umbrella of sustainable development and detailing how they will utilize the award to further this research, as well as a budget for expending the award; the proposal must be endorsed by the student’s thesis supervisor; award is €500.
Participate in any of the following:
- Volunteer 10 hours through the Community Service Program with any of the affiliated associations to cultivate a better understanding of the implications of fieldwork, and further develop practical skills while nurturing social responsibility
- Complete the JCU Service Learning program
- Become an active member of JCU Enactus (be ready to describe the project you are working on and how it is beneficial to society)
- Participate in any of the competitions organized or promoted by the Institute for Entrepreneurship working on a social venture idea
- Become a Youth Entrepreneurship Ambassador
Students that successfully complete the certificate will:
- Acquire a good understanding of how to identify and evaluate social issues
- Meet entrepreneurs, professionals and scholars in the discipline
- Apply their new knowledge to a real project or situation
- Understand the importance of an integrated approach to the economic, technological, social and environmental aspects of development
- Gain a tangible way to signal their interest in social innovation in their resume
How to Participate
Once all three requirements have been satisfied, students should request the certificate by completing the online application form. Students are expected to fulfill all the requirements within one semester. The deadline to apply is TWO WEEKS prior to the end of the Fall or Spring semester.
Please send any questions to [email protected].