Certificate In Entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurship is a state of mind that enables us to identify opportunity and to marshal the resources needed to go from idea to implementation. This transcends the specific objective of creating a new business and applies to any human endeavor. One of the main goals of the JCU Institute for Entrepreneurship (IFE) is to bring this message to all our students, regardless of their majors.
To this purpose, we have created the Certificate in Entrepreneurship, which provides students with a taste of the entrepreneurial world early on in their careers. The Certificate is open to all students, from any major, whether they already have a business/entrepreneurial background or not. It is also open to students from the MA in Art History program and from the Continuing Education programs.
To earn the Certificate students will have to satisfactorily complete the following:
Complete a 3-credit course to be chosen from:
- BUS 305 Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- BUS 335 International Entrepreneurship
- BUS 410 Strategic Decisions in Entrepreneurship
- BUS 398 For-credit internship in a startup or an organization that operates in the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- BUS/EC 336 Entrepreneurial Ecosystems
- FIN 335 Entrepreneurial Finance
- MGT 345 Social Entrepreneurship
- CE-MGT 521 Innovation Management
Attend 3 entrepreneurship events, workshops or visits organized or sponsored by IFE (the complete list can be found on the IFE Facebook page). In order to record participation, a 1,500 character report will be required.
Participate in any of the entrepreneurial competitions or programs organized or sponsored by IFE, including:
- API Innovation Lab program
- Bengis Center Challenge
- Dock3 Entrepreneurship program
- JCU Enactus
- JCU Weekend of Startups
- Youth Entrepreneurship Ambassador
Students that successfully complete the program will:
- Acquire a good understanding of how to identify, evaluate and execute business ideas.
- Meet entrepreneurs, investors and scholars in the discipline
- Apply their new knowledge to a real project or situation
- Gain a tangible way to signal their interest in entrepreneurship in their resume
How to Participate
Once all three requirements have been satisfied, students should request the certificate by completing the online application form. Students are expected to fulfill all the requirements within one semester. The deadline to apply is TWO WEEKS prior to the end of the Fall or Spring semester.
Please send any questions to [email protected].