Gap Year Study Abroad Program in Rome, Italy
John Cabot University welcomes high school graduates who wish to spend time abroad
earning university credit before commencing an undergraduate degree program. Our gap
year program enables students to select classes based on their interests, and take
advantage of everything else that JCU has to offer, from community service programs to trips and activities, and much more. Gap year students are welcome to apply for anything from a single
summer term up to a full academic year, and credit earned may be applied towards a
degree program at JCU or another institution.
Please note that participation in the gap year program may affect your enrollment status and financial aid eligibility at other universities. Before you apply to JCU, we recommend that you contact the institutions that you plan on attending afterwards to learn about their individual admissions policies.
If you plan to transfer credit to another institution, review our course schedules with an advisor at that institution, to ensure that the courses you plan on taking here are approved towards their degree programs.
To apply as a gap year student, please submit the following:
- Online application – please select “Study Abroad Student” from the options.
- $/€50 application fee. Please note that only U.S. and Canadian citizens may pay in dollars. See our payment options.
- Official copy of your high school transcript(s) showing successful completion of a high school diploma or equivalent. Transcripts not in English or Italian must be accompanied by a certified English language translation.
- A 600-word personal essay explaining why you are taking a gap year, what your future academic goals are, and how you believe that attending JCU will help you achieve them.
- Two letters of recommendation or Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Non-native speakers of English who have studied in an English language institution for fewer than two years must also submit proof of English proficiency.
If you are not able to meet our minimum GPA requirement of 2.67, we may ask you to submit additional supporting documents. You should expect to receive an admissions decision within 2-3 weeks following receipt of all application materials.
If you wish to stay in JCU housing, you may apply for it through the application portal once you have been accepted as a student. Please note that students are only permitted to move into John Cabot University Housing on or after their 18th birthday. For further information, please contact our Housing Office: [email protected]
Gap year students in need of financial aid are welcome to apply for a Study Abroad Scholarship to help cover part of the cost of tuition.
Please note the following important deadlines:
|Semester||Application Deadline||Housing Application Deadline||Tuition & Housing Deposit Deadline||Full Payment|
|Fall||May 15||June 1||June 1||July 30|
|Spring||October 15||November 1||November 1||November 30|
|Summer I||April 1||May 15||May 15||April 30|
|Summer II||May 1||May 15||May 15||May 30|
|Summer II Mini||May 1||May 15||May 15||May 30|
If you have any questions, please write to us at [email protected]. If you are in the US, you may also call our toll-free number: +1-855-528-7662 (+1-855-JCU-ROMA).