Volunteer for Italy Reads
Your international voyage will help others on theirs.
Students from all member schools of the Association of American College and University Programs in Italy (AACUPI) study abroad programs are welcome to join and become JCU Italy Reads Volunteers!
• Italy Reads Volunteers registration form.
• Read the book (Start reading today!) Go to The Walt Whitman Archive and read Leaves of Grass and more!
• Review and train with other volunteers - online and at introductory meetings (There will be two mandatory meetings at the start of the semester.)
• Meet and Discuss the book with Italian high school students of English (Based on your class schedule, we will arrange for the discussion sessions with other volunteers and high school students.)
*This program is suitable for ANY and ALL majors
Italy Reads is John Cabot University's community-based English language reading and cultural exchange program that collaborates with 200 Italian high school teachers from over 60 high schools across Italy. Each year, one classic work of American literature is selected to read together.
What you will do
After receiving training, teams of JCU student volunteers visit Italian high schools to participate in discussions of the selected work of literature in English.
During the fall semester, volunteers also assist Italian students in producing a short English-language video on the novel or poem as part of our Italy Reads Student Video Contest.
Students also help in one of the many events such as presentation of a book for the stage by the English Theater of Rome. Exchange visits usually continue throughout the spring term as well.
The minimum time commitment expected is about 6 hours during the semester for a high school visit – you are always welcome to do more!
• Become more integrated into the Italian community.
• Have the opportunity to consider your own country and its history from within an international context.
• Experience how foreigners interpret American culture.
• You'll meet Italians and form friendships that we hope will follow you through your life's travels.
All volunteers who successfully fulfill the requirements of the program receive a certificate of recognition from John Cabot University to include on their international resumes.
Italy Reads volunteers, who should be fluent in English, must be enrolled as John Cabot University students or as students of an AACUPI study abroad program. Study abroad students: you are ideal volunteers as this provides you with international service learning experience. Certificates of completion will be awarded only to those students who fulfill the requirements of the program and visits.
Become part of a growing initiative. Join Italy Reads 2019
Questions: write to [email protected]