Programs for High Schools
As an American institution of higher education in Rome, John Cabot University promotes interaction between the international academic community and its surroundings. JCU offers cultural resources and educational activities to Italian high school teachers and their students, free of charge.
Under a Framework Agreement with the Italian Ministry of Instruction, Universities and Research, Regional Office for schools in Latium
To capture the spirit of the suite of programs that JCU offers in English and, free
of charge, to the local community of educators, we have changed the name to Programs for High Schools (Programmi per le Scuole).
Our logo: The box symbolizes the simple, replicable structure of these programs. The
olive branch symbolizes our host country, Italy, and the growth we strive for together.
Consult the array of activities offered at JCU for Percorsi per le Competenze Trasversali e per l'Orientamento (PCTO), formerly known as Alternanza Scuola Lavoro (ASL), deadlines and criteria.
Impact of Programs for High Schools
Students and teachers at these schools have been involved in one or more of the Programs for High Schools offered by John Cabot University, in English and free of charge, over the past 11 years.
- 23 April 2021, 4-6pm (online) - Italy Reads Teacher Training Workshop
- 9 June 2021 5-6pm, (online) - Italy Writes Award Ceremony
- 24 September 2021, 4-6pm (online) - Italy Reads Teacher Training Workshop
- 19 October 2021 6-7:30pm (online) - Italy Reads Keynote Address
- 20 October 2021 6-7:30pm (online) - Italy Reads Master Class for Teachers
- 22 October 2021, 4-6pm (online) - Italy Reads Teacher Training Workshop
How to Write a Successful CV and Public Speaking
This program is now only on Google Classrooms. Fill in this Registration Form to receive the link to join.
The content and hours for PCTO have not changed, but the accessibility to students and teachers has greatly improved. All activities are offered online, in English and free of charge. Level of English (B2) recommended, but documentation of this level is not required.
Important: Read the Instructions (in English and Italian) for this program.
JCU’s English language reading and cultural exchange program, Italy Reads, now in its 10th year, provides a variety of activities around a work of American literature. From 16-120 hours for PCTO certifiable. Read about the activities for PCTO/ASL with Italy Reads.
Find out about events, teacher training workshops, etc.. for teachers and students with Italy Reads.
Italy Writes is JCU’s national Creative Writing Contest for high school students whose primary language of instruction is not English. Since 2010, this contest has encouraged and recognized excellence in students developing their creative voice in the English language. No current offer for PCTO hours.
The deadline was March 1st. The 65 entries: 55 Fiction and 10 Non-Fiction from students at 11 schools across Italy: Foggia, Roma, Umbertide, Gorizia, Naples, Venice, Benevento, Milan, Udine, and Rieti are now being considered by our panel of judges. The award ceremony will be held online on 9 June, 2021, 5:00-6:00pm
JCU’s Institute for Entrepreneurship offers this national, English-language pitching competition for Italian high-school students - Italy Pitches. Participating Students will select an organization, study it, and create a pitch to convince the audience to support its cause. Now, completely online and certifiable for 30 hours (formerly 10 hours) for PCTO. Students must register using this Italy Pitches Registration Form Deadline: extended to March 30 (formerly February 28).
Italy Starts, a Peer-to-Peer Entrepreneurship Mentoring Program in English
University students (Mentors) volunteer to work with Italian High School Students (Mentees) to solve real business problems or develop business models for their business or social venture idea. This program is aimed at third and fourth-year students enrolled in Italian high schools. It will be conducted online. Certifiable for 40 hours for PCTO.
Students must apply for selection for this program by filling in this Italy Starts Application Form Deadline to apply: April 15 (formerly February 28).
- Dates of Italy Starts: 25 May - 30 June 2021
The number of places is limited. PRIZES for the top two teams.
Programs for Italian High School Teachers
These programs provide professional development courses, teacher training workshops, and online resources to teachers and their students.
Italy Reads 2021-2022 – Teaching with William Demby's Beetlecreek. Teachers at high schools (scuole secondarie di secondo grado).
See the Italy Reads Calendar of Events page for details.
Past Professional Development Courses for High School Teachers
- Italy Reads 2020 - Teaching with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring
- Italy Reads 2019 - Teaching with Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass
- Italy Reads 2018 - The Mystery of Writing: Teaching with Flannery O'Connor's Short Stories
- Spring 2018 - Information and Misinformation in a Fake News World
- Summer 2014 - Media Literacy For Teaching English - A Workshop for Teachers
Percorsi per le Competenze Trasversali e per l'Orientamento (PCTO), formerly Alternanza Scuola Lavoro (ASL)
All or part of the above-listed programs can satisfy PCTO/ASL (Dlg.107/15) requirements for Italian high school students.
1. Check the map above to make sure that the required agreement for PCTO/ASL has been signed by JCU and your school. Advance registration for each activity is
2. JCU Tutor shares a spreadsheet with the school's PCTO Tutor.
3. PCTO Tutor inserts the names of students from their school participating in JCU's Programs for High Schools. This is a dynamic list. PCTO hours are added by the school's PCTO Tutor as the activities are completed.
4. JCU Tutor provides PCTO Certification to the school's Tutor based on the information communicated in this spreadsheet.
Currently, 79 Italian high schools have signed an Agreement with John Cabot University to participate in at least one of the activities offered for PCTO/ASL.
If your school is not listed above, please write to [email protected].