Internships for Undergraduates and Visiting Students
The Center for Career Services offers internships for both degree-seeking and visiting students who fulfill certain requirements. Our internships are offered on the basis of merit and compatibility with the host organization, which evaluates and ultimately selects candidates. Internships are highly competitive; we do our best to assist students, but we do not guarantee that they will obtain an internship.
Students can apply for as many internships they want, as long as they apply for one every 48 hours. Candidates have to submit both their resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Graduates are encouraged to subscribe to our Alumni mailing list in order to receive daily updates on available internships and jobs. To subscribe for the Alumni mailing list email to: [email protected]
Please note that, should you obtain an internship, there are a series of documents (Training and Orientation project and Internship Agreement) to be completed and signed, before you can start working (whether you are a student or graduate).
NOT FOR CREDIT INTERNSHIPS
Learn more about for-credit internships.
Each employer will have his/her specific requirements for potential candidates, but to be eligible to apply for an internship through the JCU Career Services, you must;
- Be enrolled at JCU for the semester (or summer session) in which you would like to get the internship (degree-seeking or study-abroad) with at least sophomore standing and a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Any applicant, whether student or graduate, has to be in a good administrative standing with the University.
It is understood that if students are enrolled in regular courses, the internship would be part-time, meaning on average 120-150 hours in total, to be distributed over the semester in agreement with the organization.
Generally, interns work between 15 and 20 hours per week, although some digital-based or on-call internships, might be from remote and/or require 10 hours per week or less.
Summer internships are a little more elastic given the time-frame involved, but the details are agreed upon with the host organization.
Study Abroad students: please note that internships are exclusively For Credit.
If you have any questions, please, refer to the Center for Career Services: [email protected]
If you are interested in a For Credit Internship, read our internships catalog on the Intranet, check our bulletin boards and our Facebook page, or write to Professor Antonella Salvatore, Director of the Center for Career Services, at [email protected]
FOR-CREDIT INTERNSHIP REQUIREMENTS
- You must be enrolled at JCU for the semester (or summer session) in which you would like to get the internship
- Internships must be obtained through JCU Center for Career Services (CSC)
- Junior standing (60 credits completed)
- Min. GPA of 3.0
- Good administrative standing with the university
FOR-CREDIT COURSE REQUIREMENTS
The internship and the For Credit class must be performed in the same semester.
- 20 hours of in-class instruction;
- 150 minimum number of hours worked that is verified by the CSC upon completion of the internship.
- A daily internship log;
- In-depth interview with the internship sponsor or organization;
- A 2500 to 3000 word "White Paper" presenting a position or solution to a problem encountered by their employer;
- Positive evaluations from your employer and the for-credit class professor.
The for-credit internship course is graded on a "pass/no pass" basis and is for 3 academic credits.
Summer: the course will begin the 1st week of classes. Students may reference the syllabus for complete details.
Spring and Fall: you must register for the class no later than the 3rd week of classes. Class will begin the 4th week of the semester.
Degree-seeking students: only one three-credit Internship course may be used towards your 120-credit graduation requirement. The internship course may be used as a major elective. Check your major's requirements.
Visiting students: check with your home university regarding transfer credits. If you obtain a For Credit Internship for a Summer Session at JCU, you will also have to take at least another class in the same session, for a total of 6 credits, and you must stay for both the Summer I and Summer II Mini 3-week for a total of 8 weeks (9 weeks counting the break in between).
For any tuition-related question concerning the For-Credit class, please contact the Business Office - Student Accounts, at [email protected].
Please note: US Federal aid recipients are strongly encouraged to choose a for-credit internship outside of the US to avoid becoming ineligible for federal loans at JCU. Please contact [email protected] for more information.