Study Abroad in Rome

Study Abroad in Rome - Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact [email protected] should you have further questions about JCU Study Abroad.

John Cabot University is located in the historic center of Rome, along the banks of the Tiber River in the vibrant Trastevere neighborhood.
Here is JCU on a map!

JCU is an American style university where you will find an academic structure similar to a university in the U.S. The campus is a welcoming community of faculty and students like you from the U.S., Italy and over 70 other countries around the world. The academics are serious as students like you are preparing for graduate studies and careers.

JCU is a US regionally accredited University so credits earned here may transfer to your home school, allowing you to stay on track for graduation. Course syllabi are available online. Please check with your academic advisor and/or Study Abroad office for details. Questions about courses can be directed to [email protected].

All courses are in English. 

JCU manages its own housing. JCU housing offers shared apartments with fully equipped kitchens and washing machines. You live with other JCU students. Click here to see JCU Housing's options and prices.

JCU classes are held Monday through Thursday so there are plenty of long weekends available to explore or just relax in a Roman piazza. Some of the most magnificent and historic cities in Italy and Europe are within easy train or plane distance from Rome.

If you plan to study for a semester or longer, are from the United States or another country that is not a member of the European Union, you need a student visa before entering Italy. Obtaining a student visa is mandatory by Italian law and must be obtained before you arrive. Applying for a student visa is a completely separate process from applying to John Cabot University. During the summer sessions, citizens of the United States or the following countries do not need a study visa, as students may stay in Italy for under 90 days without a visa. Learn more about obtaining a student visa.

There are three primary ways that students come to JCU to study abroad.

  • Through a formal partnership* with a student's home college/university
  • Through a third party provider arrangement with a student's home college/university
  • As an independent student applying directly to JCU.

Check with your home college/university study abroad office to determine which student you are, partner, provider, independent. Then follow instructions from your home college/university study abroad office.

In addition to the Fall and Spring semesters, JCU holds two summer sessions. See our Academic Calendar for more detailed information.

Just follow these four easy steps:

Once all required materials have been submitted, you will hear from us within two weeks.

Please visit the Anticipated Budget page to see an estimated student budget, which includes tuition and fees and other expenses.

JCU's Payment deadlines:

  • Fall Semester - July 15
  • Spring Semester - November 15
  • Summer I term - April 30
  • Summer II term - May 30

A Consortium Agreement between John Cabot University and your home institution may be established in order to transfer your financial aid. Students should contact the Financial Aid or Study Abroad office of their home University to find out the policies on financial aid transfer, and visit the John Cabot website. Please submit consortium agreements and direct any specific questions to [email protected].

Yes! To recognize the important role visiting students have in promoting JCU's mission, scholarships that range from $500 to $2,000 are available for visiting students who qualify. Please fill out a JCU Study Abroad Scholarship application. Find out more about Study Abroad Financial Aid and external scholarship opportunities.

Email an Admissions Counselor in Rome at [email protected], call from the U.S. toll-free at 1-855-JCU-ROMA, or call from outside the U.S. at +(39) 06-681-9121. You can also ask your question on Facebook or Twitter.