Immigration Services

Visiting Students Fall and Spring Semesters


If you are an Italian or a European Union country citizen, you will need to present the Immigration Services Office with a copy of your passport and of a health insurance valid in Italy through our myOrientation portal. Please visit the JCU Health and Wellbeing page for information regarding the recommended coverage plan.


Non-European citizens have various steps to complete in order to be able to study and reside in Italy legally. Complying with Italian laws is essential to studying at John Cabot and our staff is committed to assisting our students in the process.

All non-European Union students must apply for a study visa to legally enter Italy. Once you are accepted at JCU, the Admissions Office will provide the information and documents you need to apply for a visa.

If you need to apply for a visa, you must request it at the Italian Consulate with jurisdiction over your home state or city before you come to Italy. It is your responsibility to start the process, so make sure you do it as soon as possible, as the visa may take up to two months or longer to obtain.

After you have obtained your visa, you will need to request a Permit to Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno)within 8 days of your arrival: this residence permit allows you to legally study and live in Italy.


You will need to start your Permit to Stay request through the myOrientation portal by following these steps:

1. Send us a scanned copy of:

  • Your original passport;
  • A health insurance valid in Italy: please visit the JCU Health and Wellbeing page for information regarding the recommended coverage plan.
  • Your study visa;
  • Proof of financial support (you can submit the same document you used to obtain your visa)

2. Register with Eduservices (a third party company that will process your permit to Stay application) and pay the Permit to Stay request fee at the link provided through myOrientation.

BRING YOUR PASSPORT! During your scheduled Immigration step at Orientation, the Immigration Services Office staff will accompany you to the local Post Office, where you will be issued your Permit to Stay receipt and fingerprinting appointment letter.

The Permit to Stay receipt is the legal proof that you have applied for a Permit to Stay: it is crucial that you keep it in good conditions, and that you take note of the day of your appointment

The fingerprinting appointment is held at the Central Immigration Police Station (Questura Centrale) in via Teofilo Patini 1, and is usually scheduled after 3-4 weeks from the day you obtain your receipt at the Post Office. The fingerprinting is mandatory and cannot be rescheduled. Missing the appointment will result in a €250 fee and will jeopardize your Permit to Stay application.

The Immigration Services Office staff will accompany you on the date of your appointment. We will send you all information via email about 2 weeks in advance: remember that you are responsible for checking your email regularly.

In order to complete the appointment successfully, you will need to have with you:

  • Your original passport;
  • Your original permit to Stay receipt;
  • 2 passport-sized pictures.

REMINDER: Students waiting for their Permit to Stay Card must remain in Italy until they pick up their card.Students may leave Italy only if they are travelling directly to their home country with their Permit to Stay Receipt. Students travelling under circumstances other than these do so at their own risk.


Once the card is issued, the student will receive an email from the Immigration Services staff and be asked to pick up the card at the police station closer to where the student lives. Please note that Immigration Services will send emails only to JCU email.

You must go to the police station in person with your Passport and Receipt. After that, you must bring the card to the Immigration Services staff to be photocopied and filed.