Immigration Services

Study Visas

In order to take courses at John Cabot University, all students must provide proof that they have either the legal right or legal permission from the Italian government to study in Italy. 

Fall/Spring Semesters

European citizens
European citizens do not have to apply for either a study visa or for a Permit to Stay, but must provide a valid copy of their passport or national ID during Orientation.
Please find the list of European countries here.

Non-European citizens
All non-European citizens must have a study visa and Permit to Stay for the Fall and Spring semesters. Once you obtain your study visa you must apply for a Permit to Stay during orientation. 

Apply for a Student Visa 
If you need to apply for a study visa, you must request it at the Italian Consulate with jurisdiction over your permanent residence or University location. The Admissions Office will provide the information that you will need regarding the visa process upon your acceptance to the university. You can email [email protected] for any questions regarding the study visa application process or the immigration office at [email protected] for any information concerning your permit to stay. If you need to apply for a visa, you must do so before you come to Italy. It is your responsibility to start the process as soon as possible as the visa may take up to two months or longer to obtain.

Summer Sessions

Declaration of Presence 
If you are coming to Italy for less than 90 days (Summer Session classes), you will need to apply for a study visa if necessary, and then file a Declaration of Presence. 

Please note that even if you are visa exempt, you are still required to file a Declaration of Presence.

If you are attending a Summer Session for less than 90 days but you are from a country that is not Visa Exempt, please email [email protected].

Visa Exempt Countries 
You do not need a visa if you are from one of these countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, USA.

Minor Students

JCU is not able to accommodate minor students in JCU Housing or provide a ‘Letter of Responsibility’ signed by the President which is necessary for the Italian study visa. If you plan to stay with relatives while in Rome and can have a relative sign the ‘Letter of Responsibility’, then you can continue your application to John Cabot University. However, please bear in mind that the letter of responsibility and accommodation are two important aspects of receiving an Italian visa, and this will need to be done on your own accord with your family members.

If you do not have any relatives that will be able to host you while in Rome, JCU will defer your application to when you turn 18 years old.


Need a visa?

 How to apply for a visa