Requirements for the B.A. in English Language and Literature
Requirements for the Degree
A. The Proficiency Requirements of the University in English, Mathematics and Foreign Language.
B. The General Distribution Requirements of the University in English Literature, Mathematics and Science, Social Sciences, Humanities and Fine Arts.
C. Core Curriculum
- EN 200 Introduction to Literature
- EN 205 Introduction to the Novel
- EN 210 Introduction to Poetry and Poetics
- EN 215 Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theories
- EN 223 American Literature
- EN 230 English Literature I: Literary Beginnings to Milton
- EN 231 English Literature II: The Enlightenment to Romanticism
- EN 232 English Literature III: The Victorians to the Modernists
- EN 245 Shakespeare or EN 243 Shakespeare in Italy
- EN 278 Classical Influences on English Literature or EN 282 Italian Visions
- EN 480 Senior Thesis
The University requires an overall minimum grade point average of 2.00 in all courses taken at the University with no more than two grades lower than C- in core courses.
D. Major Electives (6 courses) At least four 300-level or higher English Literature courses, plus up to two relevant courses to be chosen from the list of approved courses (see below). Up to two Creative Writing courses may count as major electives.
- CL 260 Classical Mythology
- CL 278 Literature and Society in Ancient Rome
- CL/COM 372 Classical Rhetoric and Oratory
- COM 305 Survey of Rhetoric
- CW 205 Creative Writing Workshop: Mixed Genre
- CW 350 Creative Writing Workshop: Fiction
- CW 352 Creative Writing Workshop: Creative Nonfiction
- CW 354 Creative Writing Workshop: Poetry
- CW 356 Creative Writing Workshop: Writing the Eternal City
- CW/COM 348 Creative Writing Workshop: Screenwriting
- CW/DJRN 346 Creative Writing Workshop: Travel Writing
- CW/ITS 358 The Art of Literary Translation
- IT 315 Selected topics in Italian literature
- IT 320 Survey of Italian literature I
- IT 321 Survey of Italian literature II
- IT 335 Twentieth Century Italian Women Writers
- IT 349 The Divine Comedy
- IT 399 Special topics in Italian literature
- ITS 292 Contemporary Italian Narrative in Translation
- ITS/CW 358 The Art of Literary Translation
- ITS/TH 341 Modern Italian Drama in Translation
- PH 304 Philosophy of Art and Beauty
- TH 198 Introduction to Adaptation
- TH/ITS 341 Modern Italian Drama in Translation
E. General Electives sufficient to give a total of 120 credits.
As of Fall 2022, students who are declared English Literature majors are allowed to take the following literature courses at the same time as they are taking EN 110: EN 200, EN 230, EN 231 or EN 223. Advisors will be responsible for ensuring that these courses are recommended during advising sessions for the English Literature Majors.