Internships for Study Abroad Students
The JCU Center for Career Services collaborates with more than 730 organizations. Internships through JCU are highly competitive and we cannot guarantee you will obtain one, as final decision rests with the companies that interview candidates. However, we encourage you to try and apply, as an internship in a foreign country is a highly formative experience and will enrich your resume.
- You must be accepted at JCU for the semester (or summer session) in which you would like to get the internship
- Internships must be obtained through the JCU Center for Career Services (CSC)
- Junior standing (60 credits completed)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
FOR-CREDIT INTERNSHIP COURSE
- 20 hours of in-class instruction
- 150 minimum number of hours worked verified by the CSC upon completion of the internship
- A daily internship log
- In-depth interview with the internship sponsor or organization
- A 2500-3000 word "White Paper" presenting a solution to a problem encountered by their employer
- Positive evaluations from your employer and the for-credit class professor
WHEN AND HOW TO APPLY
Please apply for internships in accordance with the following calendar:
- Spring Internships: from October 1 to December 15
- Summer Internships: from February 15 to April 15
- Fall Internships: from May 15 to July 15
Find out more on How to Apply
Check with your home university regarding transfer credits. The for-credit internship course is graded on a "pass/no pass" basis and is worth 3 academic credits.
Please note: if you obtain a for-credit internship for a Summer Session at JCU, you will also have to take at least another class in the same session, for a total of 6 credits, and you must stay for both the Summer I and Summer II Mini 3-week for a total of 8 weeks (9 weeks counting the break in between).
For any tuition-related question concerning the for-credit class, please contact the Business Office - Student Accounts, at [email protected].
Please note: US Federal aid recipients are strongly encouraged to choose a for-credit internship outside of the US to avoid becoming ineligible for federal loans at JCU. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
CONTACTS - Center for Career Services
Professor Antonella Salvatore, Director of Center for Career Services and For-Credit Internship Program: