Minor in Digital Media Arts and Production
The minor in Digital Media Arts and Production provides students with the opportunity to explore creativity through different forms of digital media and to be critical users of a wide array of digital media technologies. It is an interdisciplinary program that is open to students from all areas of JCU who want to acquire a working knowledge of how digital media is conceived, constructed, and performed and to develop a sophisticated digital literacy for reading and critiquing our contemporary digital landscape.
In courses, students will receive hands-on experience with current software tools, creating and sharing digital media art projects, developing an appreciation of digital aesthetics and conceptual design, and learning the fundamentals of desktop video, audio, and digital authoring software. The program investigates critical issues related to emerging technologies and the arts, and surveys recent works by leading digital media artists.
The minor will:
- engage students in creative practice and allow them to use diverse media for effective visual and creative production
- engage students in imaginative, visual, and critical thinking
- provide students with the ability to evaluate contemporary creative practices
- enable students to develop technical skills and aptitudes for professional work in digital media production
- help students develop robust portfolios to achieve their creative and professional goals.
Requirements for the Minor
Six courses, including:
- COM 111 or COM 220
Five additional courses with the prefix DMA. One course may be substituted with an AS course from the following list:
- AS 101 Introduction to Graphic Design
- AS 105 Introduction to Photography
- AS 120 Smartphone Photography
- AS 215 Video Art
- AS 220 Street Photography
- AS 232 Introduction to Illustration
- AS 289 Digital Photography
- AS 311 Advanced Graphic Design
- AS 330 Graphic Design: Corporate Identity and Branding
- AS 332 Poster Design
- AS 345 The Photo-book
- AS 349 Advanced Photography
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL MINORS
- No more than one grade of lower than a C- will be accepted in courses applying to the minor.
- In the case of multiple minors, no course may apply to more than one minor.
- No more than three courses may apply to both the major and the minor.
- At least four courses must be taken in residence at John Cabot.
- Requirements for the minor must be completed by the time of graduation.