International Higher Education Mission
John Cabot University is an American institution of higher education in Rome, Italy. The mission of the University is to provide an educational experience firmly rooted in the American tradition of the liberal arts and solidly international in orientation. The academic programs are designed to use to the fullest extent the special resources of a multicultural faculty, an international student body and the extraordinarily rich culture and history of Rome and the surrounding region.
In support of its mission the University professes a commitment to:
- develop within all students the skills and the learning habits that will make it possible for them to educate themselves throughout their lives;
- enable students to appreciate, benefit from and contribute to the richness and diversity of other cultures;
- encourage leaders who will accept responsibility and make positive contributions to an increasingly interdependent and multicultural world;
- create an academic community composed of both full-time, four-year matriculating students and visiting students that fosters intellectual tolerance, freedom and integrity.
John Cabot University sets the following goals:
- to achieve an international reputation as a distinguished institution of higher education;
- to be known for the teaching excellence, the scholarly achievements, and the community service of its faculty;
- to produce graduates who are sought after by and successful in the international communities of business, public service and academe; who aspire to the highest ideals of professional and personal achievement, and who motivate a similar dedication to excellence in their colleagues;
- to provide a campus environment that encourages sensitivity to the diverse ethnic and cultural origins of the members of the University community;
- to foster reasoned and reasonable discussion of contemporary issues through public lectures, forums and conferences;
- to provide a broad spectrum of activities which draws on the inherent talents of the international student body;
- to develop courses, seminars, and other programs that instill an eagerness to embrace the challenges of a more global future;
- to provide a physical environment that invites teaching and learning and that encourages excellence in both students and faculty;
- to promote and support a sound financial environment, studied growth of academic programs, improvement of salary and benefit packages for faculty and staff, and the accumulation of endowment funds;
- to continue to support an active alumni relations program that incorporates and encourages alumni participation in student recruiting, program assessment, and financial development;
- to preserve the character of the University as an American institution of higher education by attracting a significant percentage of students who are U.S. citizens.
A distinguished, international faculty and staff and a student population representing over seventy countries combine to create an unparalleled learning environment. Opportunities for interaction among faculty, staff and students are provided on an on-going basis in a variety of ways: through organized social and cultural opportunities within the University; through contacts outside the University with international scholars, leaders from business and government, and students from the other universities in Rome; and through academic, personal and career advising.
A primary goal of the instructional program of the University is to provide each student with the academic preparation needed for life-long learning and personal fulfillment in an increasingly multicultural environment. Graduates of the University have been impressively successful in assuming roles of responsibility in their chosen fields and in pursuing advanced studies at prestigious institutions in Europe and the United States.
A large percentage of our graduates pursue further studies and careers in international settings. Internationally-educated students find that their credentials for job advancement and career development are well-respected and are often superior to those of others who have not had the benefit of international experience and training available at the University.