Student Life

Legal Requirements to Study in Italy

In order to take courses at John Cabot University, all students must provide proof that they have either the legal right or legal permission from the Italian government to study in Italy.

This means that all JCU students who are not citizens of a European Union member country must obtain a permit to reside in Italy. All students with non-Italian European Union passports must fulfill the requirements imposed by Italian law regarding their residence in Italy.

Non-European Union citizens without a study visa and permit to stay will not be able to attend classes at John Cabot University during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Italian citizens and citizens of the European Union must provide proof of citizenship in the form of a valid passport or other equally valid identification.

In order to assist you with the process of obtaining and providing proof that you may legally study in Italy, we have prepared the following guidelines.

Please click on the category that applies to you:

Degree-seeking or Transfer

Visiting/Study Abroad

What is a study visa?

The student visa is an endorsement granted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that states that you have been allowed to enter a country for study purposes.

What is the Permesso di Soggiorno or Permit to Stay?

The Permit to Stay is an endorsement granted by the Ministry of Internal Affairs that states that you have been approved to remain in Italy for the duration of your studies.

All citizens who do not belong to European Union countries may enter Italy by presenting their passport and a study visa issued by the Italian Consulate in their country of origin. Foreigners, or non-EU citizens, intending to stay in Italy for more than three months (90 days) must also apply for a Permit to Stay or Permesso di Soggiorno.

All non-EU citizens must apply for the study visa and then request the Permit to Stay within 8 days of arrival in Italy.