Immigration Services

Study Visa

In order to take courses at John Cabot University, all students must provide proof that they have either the legal right or legal permission from the Italian government to study in Italy. 

Fall/Spring Semesters

European citizens
European citizens do not have to apply neither for a study visa nor for a Permit to Stay, but must provide a valid copy of their passport or national ID during Orientation.
Please find the list of European countries here.

Non-European citizens
All non-European citizens must have a study visa and Permit to Stay for the Fall and Spring semesters. Once you obtain your study visa you must apply for a Permit to Stay during orientation. Please see Permit to Stay section. 

Apply for a Student Visa 
If you need to apply for a study visa, you must request it at the Italian Consulate with jurisdiction over your home state or city. The Admissions Office will provide the information that you will need regarding the visa process upon your acceptance to the university. You can also refer to The Immigration Services Office for any questions regarding visa and immigration process requirements. If you need to apply for a visa, you must do so before you come to Italy. It is your responsibility to start the process as soon as possible as the visa may take up to two months or longer to obtain.

Download more information on procedures and documents you will need for your visa.

Summer Sessions

Declaration of Presence 
If you are coming to Italy for less than 90 days (Summer Session classes), you will need to apply for a study visa if necessary, and then file a Declaration of Presence.

Visa Exempt Countries 
You do not need a visa if you are from one of these countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, USA.


Need a visa?

 How to apply for a visa