High School Collaboration
Opportunities for Italian high school teachers and their students at JCU
As an American institution of higher education in Rome, John Cabot University promotes interaction between an international academic community and its surroundings. JCU offers cultural resources and educational activities to Italian high school teachers and their students.
JCU’s English language reading and cultural exchange program, now in its 8th year, provides a variety of activities around a work of American literature. Description of activities available for Italy Reads for Alternanza Scuola Lavoro.
JCU’s national Creative Writing Contest for high school students whose primary language of instruction is not English. Since 2010, this contest has encouraged and recognized excellence in students developing their creative voice in the English language.
JCU’s Institute for Entrepreneurship offers this national, English-language pitching competition for Italian high-school students. Participating students will select a non-profit organization, study it and create a pitch to convince the audience to donate to its cause.
Professional Development Courses for High School Teachers
Extended deadline for applications: 8 January 2018
Italy Reads 2018 "The Mystery of Writing: Teaching with Flannery O'Connor's Short Stories" - 30 hours
Thursdays, 4:30-6:00pm, 18 January - 3 May 2018. Instructors: Andrew Rutt and Elena Buia Rutt
Apply here by 11 December 2017.
"Information and Misinformation in a Fake News World" - 30 hours
Tuesdays, 4:30-6:00pm, 16 January - 3 May 2018. Instructor: Deanna Lee
Apply here by 11 December 2017.
Alternanza Scuola Lavoro
All or part of the above-listed programs can be included as part of the Alternanza Scuola Lavoro (Dlg.107/15) satisfying requirements for Italian high school students. Stipulation of the relevant Agreement between institutions and Advance registration are obligatory. The ASL Tutor at each school will receive a spreadsheet where the names of all students engaged in ASL at JCU activities for the academic year are to be listed. Please write to email@example.com.
Italian high schools that have signed an Agreement with John Cabot University to participate in at least one of the activities offered for Alternanza Scuola Lavoro during the 2017-2018 Academic Year are:
- Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "Blaise Pascal", Pomezia
- Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "Croce Aleramo", Rome
- Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "Leonardo da Vinci", Maccarese
- Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "Margherita Hack", Morlupo
- Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "Pacinotti-Archimede", Rome
- Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "Via Silvestri 301", Rome
- Istituto Paritario "Gesù-Maria", Rome
- Liceo Classico "Luciano Manara", Rome
- Liceo Classico Linguistico "Immanuel Kant", Rome
- Liceo Classico Sperimentale Statale "Bertrand Russell", Rome
- Liceo Classico/Linguistico Statale "Tito Lucrezio Caro", Rome
- Liceo Ginnasio Statale "Augusto", Rome
- Liceo Ginnasio Statale "Dante Alighieri", Rome
- Liceo Statale "Vittorio Gassman", Rome
- Liceo Statale "Niccolò Machiavelli", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico "F. Sbordone", Naples
- Liceo Statale "Giuseppe Berto", Mogliano Veneto
- Liceo Ginnasio Statale "Virgilio", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico "Morgagni", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico dell'Istituto "Falletti di Barolo", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Aristotele", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Farnesina", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Giovanni Keplero", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Isacco Newton", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Talete", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Giuseppe Peano", Rome
- Liceo Statale "Montessori", Rome
- Liceo Statale "Vittoria Colonna", Rome
- Scuola S. Giuseppe al Casaletto, Rome
- Liceo Classico "Eugenio Montale", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico "J.F. Kennedy", Rome
- ISIS "Enrico de Nicola", Naples
- Liceo Classico e Linguistico Statale "Aristofane", Rome
- Liceo Scientifico Statale "Sandro Pertini", Ladispoli
- Liceo Statale "Leonardo da Vinci", Treviso
- Liceo Statale "Margherita di Savoia", Naples
|ASL at JCU activity||Number of students||ASL hours completed|
|Italy Reads* (offers from 10 to 80 hrs./student for ASL)||433||5,361|
|Italy Pitches*(offers 17 hrs./student for ASL)||260||1,350|
|"Project 1" CV, Cover Letter and Interview (offers 17 hrs./student for ASL)||630||11,789|
Youth Media Education Summit 2016 (This one-time opportunity offered 6 hrs./student for ASL)
|*Only a portion of the total number of participants in this activity did so to earn ASL credit hours.|
JCU offers a program structured in 3-phases (a seminar and two subsequent workshops).
- Students learn how to write an effective CV and prepare for an interview.
- The total number of hours for this program: 17
- Places are limited and advance registration is obligatory.
Current Cycle 2017-2018 schedule:
ASL Tutors at schools will be notified of the date of the session assigned to students at their school
- The entire 3-phase cycle can be started and completed between March and June 2018
Students are expected to prepare for each session according to the indications they receive through their school's ASL Tutor as well as directly from JCU's High School Collaboration Coordinator.
The schedule for the remaining sessions for Cycle 2017-2018 can be consulted here.
Subsequent cycles will be scheduled as indicated below. Places are limited. Advance registration and formal institutional agreement obligatory.
ASL at JCU – "Project 1", How to Write a CV and a Cover Letter and How to Prepare for an Interview - These resources will be useful to students and teachers in preparation for Phase II and Phase III.
If you are a high school teacher and would like to suggest an activity for your students under Alternanza Scuola Lavoro (Dlg.107/15), please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will consider the feasibility of your suggestion.