Financial Aid and Scholarships for John Cabot University in Rome

U.S. Title IV Federal Direct Loans

United States citizens, and eligible non-citizens, enrolled in an undergraduate program at John Cabot University may be eligible to borrow low-interest Federal Direct Loans. Students may borrow through the Federal Direct Loan programs, and parents of students may borrow through the Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) loan program.

Current US government legislation prohibits US citizens enrolled in colleges or universities outside the United States from receiving Pell Grants, SEOG, Perkins Loans, or Federal Work Study funds, even though they may be eligible for such assistance.

JCU is not authorized to originate or disburse Federal Student Aid on behalf of visiting students. However, a visiting student may transfer their existing Federal Student Aid from their home institution in the US to John Cabot University.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To begin the application process for a Federal Direct Loan, such as a Stafford loan or PLUS loan, first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).Please include JCU’s School Code, G33293, on your application as a prospective school. 

A new FAFSA must be submitted for each year of study before any Federal Student Aid can be awarded. You may begin to fill out your FAFSA for the upcoming academic year on October 1st.

Federal Loan Options for Students - Federal Direct Loans

Subsidized: For students who qualify for subsidized Stafford loans, the government pays the interest on the loan(s) until the student enters repayment after graduation or withdrawal.

Unsubsidized: Students who receive an unsubsidized Stafford Loan are responsible for the interest that accrues during school, and during grace and deferment periods. If not paid while the student is in school, interest is capitalized (added to the loan balance) at the end of the borrower's grace period. The interest on this loan is minimal when compared to private loans.

Federal Direct Loan Annual and Lifetime Limits

Dependent  Annual loan limit (Subsidized & Unsubsidized combined) 
Freshman $5,500
Sophomore $6,500
Junior or senior $7,500
Independent  Annual loan limit (Subsidized $ Unsubsidized combined) 
Freshman $9,500
Sophomore $10,500
Junior or senior $12,500
Undergraduate dependent lifetime limit  Undergraduate independent lifetime limit 
$31,000 $57,500

Federal Loan Option for Parents - Federal PLUS Loan

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available to parents of dependent undergraduate students to help finance their student’s education. Parents may borrow up to the official Cost of Attendance,minus the amount of any other financial aid received. A credit check is required for the PLUS loan. Parent PLUS loans have competitive loan fees, interest rates, and repayment options.

Federal Direct Loan Terms and Conditions

Federal Direct Loan Eligibility

John Cabot University will determine a student’s Federal Direct Loan eligibility automatically only if a FAFSA is completed with JCU’s school code, G33293. Each eligible student will receive a Financial Aid Package from JCU containing the amount of JCU institutional aid received, and their Stafford and Parent PLUS loan eligibility. Detailed instructions for borrowing Stafford and/or Parent PLUS loans are also included.

JCU students who study abroad at an ineligible program, which includes all schools in the United States, risk losing their Federal Direct Loan eligibility upon their return to JCU. 

Understanding Your Financial Aid Package

Federal Student Aid Timeline

Jan 1st: Submit FAFSA at
Jun 30th: Completed FAFSA due
Jul 15th: Full tuition payment deadline*
Aug 1st: Federal Direct Loan application due for Fall semester disbursement
Mid Sept: Week after Add/Drop: First disbursement of Direct Loans for Fall semester
Dec 15th: Federal Direct Loan application due for Spring semester disbursement
Mid Jan: Week after Add/Drop: First disbursement of Direct Loans for Spring semester

*Only the balance not covered by Federal loans, private loans, or institutional aid is due.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for Federal Student Aid

To continue receiving Federal Student Aid, all students must make satisfactory academic progress.

Each semester, JCU's Financial Aid Office ensures Satisfactory Academic Progress is being made for students receiving Federal Student Aid. Students must meet the minimum requirements:

• Minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
• Hours attempted versus successfully completed
• Maximum time to complete a program

Students who do not meet these standards will have their Federal Student Aid withdrawn. Download the complete John Cabot University SAP policy.

Federal Student Aid after Graduating, Withdrawing, or Dropping below Half-Time (less than 6 credits)

Once you have graduated, withdrawn, or are no longer enrolled at least half time, you will enter a 6-month grace period on your Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, during which time you are not required to make loan payments.

You must begin repayment at the end of your grace period. Your loan servicer will provide you with a loan repayment schedule that states when your first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment.

If you withdraw from the university prior to completing more than 60% of a term, JCU will determine the amount of Title IV Federal Student Aid that you have earned, and what funds must be returned. The Title IV programs included are Direct Stafford Loans and Direct PLUS Loans. Download the complete Return to Title IV Policy.

Before you graduate or withdraw, you are required to complete the Exit Counseling. You may complete the Exit Counseling online.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.